Skip to main content

Moving your electricity supply

We are sometimes asked to move an electricity supply as a result of building work, such as an extension to a domestic dwelling. If you are planning works to your premises which requires some of our equipment to be moved, you will need to make an application to move your electricity supply.

If you need to move your existing electricity supply you should be aware that there are specific conditions and costs associated with these works.

Typical Costs and Timescales for connection

We have provided a table of average costs and timescales associated with moving small electricity supplies, up to 100A per phase.  This is available to view here.

Alternatively you can use our Interactive Costing Tool to calculate an indicative price for your site.

If you would like to move an electricity supply greater than 100A per phase, please contact us using the details for the new supplies teams at the bottom of this page.

Supplies up to 100A per phase

We have produced a guidance document which provides information on where your supply can be moved to and what preparatory works you may need to complete.

Working out the cost

Our application form includes an option for you to work out the cost for some types of work. Please refer to the guidance document for more information about the circumstances when the self-cost option may not be utilised.

Where you are unable to work out the cost yourself, we will make an assessment of the works required and associated costs following receipt of an application form. Once we have completed our assessment we will send you a connection offer. These are valid for 90 days and the works should normally be completed within 90 days from the date of acceptance. This is subject to change; for example, we may need to obtain permissions from third party landowners or the highways agency prior to commencing any works.

Will my quotation include everything?

To ensure your safety when digging on your own land, please view our Public Safety Advice webpage.

What happens next?

Once you are confident that you wish to proceed, please complete and submit an application form. You will need to include a Site Layout Plan showing your existing and proposed meter positions. The following flowchart identifies what will happen once we receive your application form.

How do I apply?

To make an application for connection, you may Apply Online, download an Application Form or contact your nearest applications team and ask us to send an application to you.

Lines are open Mon to Fri, 8:30 to 5pm

You can also alter...

Service alteration

Are you planning works to your premises which requires some of our equipment to be moved?

Find out more

Diversion works

A diversion is where we have to move our electricity cables or overhead power lines.

Find out more


Information about both permanent disconnection and temporary de-energisations.

Find out more