Environmental Information Regulations 2004
We publish large amounts of environmental information on our website. However, if you cannot find what you are looking for, you may request environmental information under the Environmental Information Regulations 2004.
Please note, Western Power Distribution is not subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
You are entitled to request from us environmental information that we hold on any of the following:
- the state of the elements of the environment and the interaction among these elements e.g., water, air, soil or land;
- factors affecting or likely to affect those elements e.g. radiation, noise, energy or waste;
- measures or activities affecting, or likely to affect, those factors or elements, or designed to protect those elements;
- reports on the implementation of environmental legislation;
- cost-benefit and other economic analyses and assumptions used within the framework of those measures and activities; and
- the state of human health and safety, conditions of human life, cultural sites and built structures in as much as they are or may be affected by those elements.
The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has published guidance on the type of information you can request.
Before submitting a request
Before submitting a request, we recommend that you read through the information we publish on environmental information as you may find that the information you require is already publicly available.
- Our Generation Capacity Register which aggregates technology types at Primary substation level.
- Our Embedded Capacity Register (all gen 1MW+) including MPANs, are captured in a consolidated format including generator type. Location, capacity and wider key information.
Both of the above are updated monthly and provide connected, accepted-not-yet-connected, and offered connections.
- We provide Distribution Future Energy Scenarios reports for each local authority area on our website here. This gives details on expected DER out to 2050 under 4 future energy scenarios.
- We also publish the shape files covered by our Primary substations to determine geographic coverage.
If you would like to submit a request for environmental information, you can contact us at the following email address: email@example.com
We will respond to requests for environmental information within 20 working days. Where a request is particularly complex, we may request an extension of up to 40 working days to respond.
Please note that there may be occasions where we cannot provide you with the environmental information you have requested. These situations include but are not limited to the following:
- We are not in possession of the information requested;
- The request is manifestly unreasonable;
- The public interest case for not disclosing the information outweighs the case for disclosing it.
We are permitted to charge a reasonable fee to respond to environmental information requests.
Our fees will be based on the cost of responding to the request and will be calculated as follows:
- The cost of staff time will be charged at £25 for each hour of employee time spent responding to your request;
- Printing or copying will be charged at 10p per page;
- Postage fees will be charged at face value.
Where a request is particularly complex, we may ask for some or all payment of our fees in advance.
We may also waive some or all of the charges in circumstances where this is reasonable. Where information is already publicly available, we will inform you of this and no charge will be applied.
We aim to deal with all requests for environmental information appropriately and in accordance with the Environmental Information Regulations.
However, in the first instance, if you are unhappy with the way we have handled your request, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If after going through our internal complaints procedure, you are still dissatisfied, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office. They can contact them:
- By email: email@example.com
- By post: The Information Commissioner Wycliffe House Water Lane Wilmslow Cheshire SK9 5AF
In responding to your request, we will rely on the information that we hold on our records at the date indicated in our response. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information and it should not be relied on for any purpose.