G98 Multiple premises connection procedure
Does my installation apply?
This connection procedure applies to generation installations that meet each of the following criteria:
- The installer is connecting generation at more than one premises within a local geographic region* within 28 days of each other.
- The generation at each premises has an aggregate rating of 16A (3.68kW) per phase or less.
- All the generation complies with the requirements of an Energy Networks Association (ENA) document called Engineering Recommendation G98. A copy of this documents can be obtained from the Energy Networks Association.
*The local geographic region is deemed to be an area extending for a distance of 500m from each generation installation.
For more information on connecting generation under the G98 multiple premises connection procedure, please refer to the Energy Networks Association website.
Will I need to pay a connection charge?
If you require a connection to a new property or require changes to the service connection at your existing property, you will need to pay a connection charge for the associated works. We will send you a Connection offer which sets out the works required and costs for completing those works.
We will fully fund reinforcement carried out to allow the installation of all equipment at an existing premises which remains connected via an existing low voltage single, two or three phase service fused at or below 100 amperes per phase and metered with whole current metering, provided that:
- The reinforcement is carried out to allow the installation of equipment as part of a single application for single or multiple installations;
- Any and all generation equipment installed has a rated output not greater than 16 amperes per phase at any single premises; and
- All equipment installed which does not constitute a modification to the existing service conforms with the technical requirements of the following standards:
* BS EN 61000-3-2 Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) Limits. Limits for harmonic current emissions (equipment input current ≤ 16A per phase)
* BS EN 61000-3-3 Electromagnetic compatibility limits. Limitation of voltage changes, voltage fluctuations and flicker in public low voltage supply systems, for equipment with rated current ≤ 16A per phase and not subject to conditional connection.
What should I do?
Under this connection procedure you must apply to us using the G98 for Multiple Installations Form. It is important that we have agreed all the details with you before you install and commission the generation. In most cases micro-generation can be connected to our network without causing any difficulties, however, sometimes we have to strengthen our network before the generation can be commissioned. Where we need to strengthen our network you will have to pay a contribution towards this work so it is important that you are fully aware of these costs before you commit yourself to the installation.
Once we have agreed all the details with you and we have carried out any necessary work on our network you may go ahead and commission your generation. You must then fill in and complete one G98 Installation Document per installation and send the details to us within 28 days.
Type Test Verification
Where the micro-generator is fully type tested and already registered with the ENA Type Test Verification Report Register, the installation document should include the manufacturer’s reference number (the Product ID).
Where the micro-generator is not registered with the ENA Type Test Verification Report Register, please also complete and provide us with the type test verification report.
Copies of all relevant forms are available here.
For information relating to the implementation of the EU Network Codes, including the transition from G83 to G98, please click here.