We are committed to ensuring that we meet all of our compliance obligations while minimising the overall impact that our activities have on the environment in which we work and operate.
Wherever possible we aim to adopt best practice to continually improve on our environmental performance.
As such during RIIO-ED1 we have committed to achieve the following environmental improvements (outputs) throughout our business:
A reduction in technical network losses
- Installing oversized transformers when replacing assets at highly loaded locations
- Using larger sized cables when installing new network in Low Carbon Technology (LCT) hotspots
- Undertaking innovation projects specifically related to technical losses
A reduction in our carbon footprint
- All replacement vehicles to have lower CO2 emissions than those they are replacing
- Ensuring all new or refurbished WPD buildings achieve a minimum rating of ‘Excellent’ for new build and ‘very good’ for refurbishment under the BREEAM* rating
- Reducing the amount of waste we produce and send to landfill
Reduction in the leaks from our equipment, specifically;
- The volume of oil lost through leaks from fluid filled cable
- The volume of SF6 gas that is lost from switchgear
- Installing effective oil containment ‘bunds’ around plant containing high volumes of oil
* Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method