Light up safely this Christmas
With the festive season approaching, we are urging people across the Midlands, the South West and South Wales to light up safely.
We deliver electricity to around 7.9 million customers across the region and safety is our number one priority.
Lee Wallace, Safety and Training Manager here at WPD said: “We’re moving towards a time of the year when fairy lights and other illuminations are brought out and dusted off to decorate homes and gardens. Making a few simple checks will help ensure everyone enjoys the festive season safely.”
Our top tips include:
- If installing outdoor lighting, always look up and check for overhead power lines, particularly if you are using a ladder, as electricity can jump.
- Never use lights designed for indoor use outside.
- Use a Residual Current Device (RCD) at the socket where you plug the lights in and take care not to overload plugs and extension leads.
- Check the condition of the lights when you unpack them and discard any with frayed or exposed wires.
- Consider replacing old lights with the latest specification low voltage lights which are less likely to get hot and overheat.
Further safety tips and advice can be found on the website for The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents: